When it comes to aging well, most guidance is about exercise, nutrition, and getting better sleep. But you may not realize that social connection and purpose are just as important to your overall well-being.
The National Institute on Aging reports that socially connected retirees have a lower risk for Alzheimer’s disease, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease, some forms of cancer, depression, and anxiety. Fortunately, Hillsborough Township in Somerset County, New Jersey, has ample opportunities for social connection and purpose, which may be one of the reasons the area has been repeatedly named one of the nation’s best places to live by Money magazine.
Here are just some of the options for finding connection and purpose during retirement in Hillsborough Township.
Volunteering during retirement in Hillsborough Township
By volunteering your time, you’re not only doing something purposeful by helping others, but it can also be an opportunity to find social connection with others who hold the same causes dear to them. Volunteer options during retirement in Hillsborough Township include the following:
- Literacy Volunteers of Somerset County offers opportunities to teach others to read.
- Feeding Hands Pantry offers opportunities to provide food to those in need.
- Community Options, Inc., an organization that helps people secure housing and employment, has a number of ways to volunteer.
- VolunteerMatch connects volunteers and nonprofits by matching you with opportunities in the Hillsborough Township area.
- AmeriCorps Seniors is a network that connects retirees with volunteer opportunities.
You can also contact local organizations individually, like Habitat for Humanity, schools, sports leagues, vocational programs, hospitals, literacy organizations, churches, or humane societies.
Download our guide, “Senior Living in Hillsborough Township: Everything You Need to Know”.
Religious organizations in Hillsborough Township
Religion is an important part of life for many retirees, and there are tremendous opportunities for social connection through the religious community in which you participate. Retirement in Hillsborough Township gives you access to diverse houses of worship, including the following:
- Calvary Community Church
- Charity Baptist Church
- Christ the Redeemer Roman Catholic Church
- Congregation Kehilat Shalom Synagogue
- Congregation Knesseth Israel Conservative Synagogue
- Dakshineswar Ramkrishna Sangha Hindu Temple
- Dawatul Islamia of Somerset Mosque
- East Millstone United Methodist Church
- Emmanuel Baptist Church
- Emmanuel Reformed Episcopal Church
- Faith Lutheran Church
- Fellowship Bible Church
- Hillsborough Presbyterian Church
- Holy Trinity Lutheran Church
- Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church
- Lake Nelson Seventh-day Adventist Church
- Manville Reformed Church
- Mary Mother of God Roman Catholic Church
- Masjid-e-Ali Mosque
- Muslim Center of Somerset Mosque
- Neshanic United Methodist Church
- Praise Presbyterian Church
- St. James A.M.E. Church
- St John’s Episcopal Church
- St. Joseph Catholic Church
- St. Mary Byzantine Catholic Church
- St. Paul’s Episcopal Church
- St. Paul Lutheran Church
- St. Thomas Syro-Malabar Catholic Forane Church
- Shree Swaminarayan Mandir Loyadham Hindu Temple
- Somerset Presbyterian Church
- Somerville Spanish Seventh-Day Adventist Church
- Srivari Sri Balaji Temple Hindu Temple
- Temple Beth-El Reform Synagogue
- The Loft Wesleyan Church
- True Jesus Church in Hillsborough
- Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Somerset Hills
- Zarephath Christian Church
Senior centers in Hillsborough Township
Another way to find purpose and connection during retirement in Hillsborough Township is through a senior center, and there are many in the area. Somerset County supports retirees ages 60 and older with Senior Centers and Wellness Programs in Hillsborough Township as well as Bridgewater, Basking Ridge, Montgomery, and Franklin. Visitors enjoy meals, classes, and diverse programs in the arts, history, science, and literature, as well as games, exercise, and themed and multi-cultural events, plus wellness programs to help retirees take charge of their health.
Senior living in Hillsborough Township
Hillsborough Township, New Jersey, has so much to offer retirees, and senior living can help make it easier to enjoy it all! At All American at Hillsborough, we empower older adults to embrace their own health and well-being by creating lifestyles that inspire creativity, foster independence, protect dignity, and celebrate wisdom.
Our mission is to provide the finest quality senior living with an emphasis on the important family values of compassion, integrity, and respect. This includes finding purpose and connection during retirement in Hillsborough Township through:
- Social events, activities, and outings
- Live music and entertainment
- Clubs, classes, guest speakers, discussions on current events, volunteer opportunities, and more
- Opportunities for creative expression
- Friendly competition with game nights
- Onsite religious services, as well as weekly bible studies
- Amenities that encourage connecting, like a fitness center, library, beautiful grounds, and common areas perfect for spending time together
- A built-in community with friends, neighbors, and caring staff always nearby
For more information on retirement in Hillsborough Township, visit our helpful guide, “Senior Living in Hillsborough Township: Everything You Need to Know” today.