The Hillsborough Township area in Somerset County, New Jersey, is a vibrant and bustling suburban community within commuting distance of New York City that has been repeatedly named one of the nation’s best places to live by Money magazine. The area has a strong economy with a diverse population of about 43,000 and is also a tourist destination thanks to its many important historical sites. Hillsborough Township’s climate embraces all four seasons, making it a great place to retire and enjoy life year-round. Here are just a few of the opportunities to live well during retirement in Hillsborough Township.
Destinations in Hillsborough Township
The area is thought to have been home to indigenous people as far back as 12,000 years ago, explored by tribes of the Algonquin Nation, settled by Dutch immigrants in the mid-17th century, traversed by Geoge Washington and his troops, and site of the Belle Mead Depot during WWII, making retirement in Hillsborough Township ideal for the history buff. Some of the destinations to see include the following.
- Washington Rock State Park, where General George Washington took advantage of the 30-mile panoramic view of the valley during the American Revolution to direct his troops to circle behind British General Howe’s troops and stop their retreat.
- Wallage House & Dutch Parsonage, once winter quarters for General Washington as well as Provincial Congress delegates who declared New Jersey’s independence.
- New Hope Railroad in picturesque Bucks County, Pennsylvania, which dates from 1891, provides visitors with seasonal train excursions and special events throughout the year.
- Old Millstone Forge blacksmith shop and museum, once the longest-operating blacksmith shop in the nation.
- Samuel Fleming House Museum & Gardens, for a restored and preserved look at life in colonial America.
Visit our guide, “Senior Living in Hillsborough Township: Everything You Need to Know”.
Festivals in Hillsborough Township
If you want to immerse yourself in the local culture, meet new people, and have some fun, festivals are the perfect way for retirees in Hillsborough Township to do just that. And there are plenty of options from which to choose, including the following.
- Somerset County 4-H Fair in August offers classic fair food, Live music, fun activities, and shows and exhibits.
- New Jersey Lottery Festival of Ballooning in July at Solberg Airport in Whitehouse Station features dozens of beautiful and fanciful hot-air balloons as well as entertainment, exhibits, and great food.
- Flemington Opa! Greek Festival in June is a weekend-long celebration of fine Greek food, dancers, and music, as well as different vendors, carnival games, and a Taverna and Café.
- New Jersey Folk Festival in April features a range of musicians, dance troupes, comedians, and storytellers on the campus of Rutgers University.
The arts in Hillsborough Township
Retirement in Hillsborough Township also offers you a host of ways to tap into your creativity and passion for music and theatre, including the following.
- Somerset Valley Players community theater features live performances with different plays throughout the year, including free senior evenings.
- Raritan Valley Symphonic Band is a local treat with formal and outdoor concerts performed by more than 100 local musicians.
- Raritan Valley Chorus features a variety of programs, from contemporary to traditional, performed throughout the year.
- Zimmerli Art Museum at Rutgers University features diverse artworks, ongoing exhibits, a collection of more than 7,000 pieces, various events, films, and more.
- Rutgers Geology Museum offers exhibits, collections, lectures, and tours for lovers of the natural world.
Lifelong learning in Hillsborough Township
Not only is it fun to learn new things, but continuing to do so throughout retirement in Hillsborough Village offers numerous benefits from brain health to renewed purpose to social connection. Your options here include the following.
- Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Rutgers University offers classes online or in-person at the New Brunswick or Freehold campuses.
- Rutgers Senior Citizen Audit Program offers classes on all three campuses on a space-available basis.
Retirement in Hillsborough Township in senior living
Hillsborough Township, New Jersey, has so much to offer retirees, and senior living is a great option to help you enjoy it all! At All American at Hillsborough, we empower older adults to embrace their own health and well-being by creating lifestyles that inspire creativity, foster independence, protect dignity, and celebrate wisdom. Our mission is to provide the finest quality senior living with an emphasis on the important family values of compassion, integrity, and respect.
For more information on retirement in Hillsborough Township, visit our helpful guide, “Senior Living in Hillsborough Township: Everything You Need to Know” today.